Bookmark and Share

EssentialSSL Wildcard

If you find incorrect information or missing contact details. Please click here

Piscataquis Valley Fair

Bookmark and Share
Location Dover Foxcroft
Dates August 22, 2019 - August 25, 2019

From Piscataquis Valley Fair Website:

The first fair was held at Joseph Kelseys in Guilford, 1/2 mile from Guilford and Sangerville on the first Tuesday in October in 1841. The fair in 1842 was held in Sangerville Village on the 4th day of October. There was no record of a fair in 1843. In 1844 the Fair was held in Dover Village. The exhibits were at the Universalist meeting house and the Village school house. In 1845 the Fair was held in Sangerville Village. In 1846 the Fair was held in Foxcroft Village on the 7th of October. From 1847 to 1852 there is no record of any fair.

In 1853 an act to incorporate the Piscataquis County Central Agricultural and Horticultural Society was enacted by the Maine House of Representatives. The first Fair was held on October 5, 1853 in Dover Village. In 1855 the stock exhibition was held on the lot of Mr. Samuel Ricker on High Street. This lot was leased by the Society. From 1895 to 1900 there is no record of any Fairs, except in 1899. In 1901 the first Fair of the Piscataquis Agricultural Society was held. From 1918 to 1923 no Fair was held. In 1921 the society met and sold the Park land to the spool factory. After paying bills the remaining money was given to the town for a playground at Fairview Avenue. In 1924 the Fair was held at Fairview Athletic Field. In 1926 Col Mayo paid for a new hall and stock sheds.

In 1927 a group applied to the State to rename the Fair " The Piscataquis Valley Fair Association" From 1932 to 1935 there was no fair, undoubtedly due to the Great Depression. In 1936 the American Legion revived the Fair. In 1939 there was no fair, but a horse pulling contest was held before the other fairs started. In 1944 and 1945 there were no exhibits in the halls because they were used to house Jamaicans who were here to pick potatoes. In 1947 $1,000 was spent for a new horse pulling ring. In 1956 a new grand stand was built next to the horse pulling ring. It was an icon of Piscataquis Valley Fair until safety regulations pushed the Fair to demolish it in the late 1980's. At that time the pulling ring was moved to the other side of the hill.

Over the years many changes have occurred with the growing PVF. With the acquiring of more land, now including 50 acres, many more entities were possible. More Cattle and horse barns were built and a Cattle Show Ring in the 1990's.

An Ice Cream Parlor was rebuilt from another building and continues to be extremely popular. In 2008 a new building will be constructed by Fair time in August.

The Milking Parlor, first in the state at a fair, was built beside the Ice Cream Parlor and is an excellent draw and learning experience for all ages. With state inspection the milk is allowed to be sold to milk distributors.

About 1990, due to safety reasons and needed space, the Horse Show Ring was moved to a spacious area behind the cattle barns. An attractive building was erected by the Dirigo Horsemen's Association to house equipment and a snack shop.

The Fair Office was relocated to "The Hill" in the late 1980's. It is easily located and a good vantage point for Fair viewing. The Fair then built a Snack Shack beside the Fair Office which has seen several expansions and is a busy and popular eating spot.

Activities include children's activities, entertainment, music, rides, antique auto display, antique tractor pulls, demolition derby, livestock exhibits, fireworks, commercial exhibitors, a wide variety of food and attractions.

Contact nameSign Up To Be A Member
PhoneSign Up To Be A Member
Event WebsiteSign Up To Be A Member
Show hoursThu 8am-9pm, Fri 9am-7.30pm, Sat 6am-7.30pm, Sun 6am-10am
Public Admission Price$6 each day (over 10 yrs.) $2 (5-10 years) under 5 Free, Thursday - SENIOR CITIZEN DAY - $3
Art/Craft Space
$50 10x9, $100 20x9, Outside ground : $50 per 10 frontage
Maps and Directions (from Google Maps)
For ended craft show, fairs and festivals, please go to our archive page.